I honestly can’t realise how fast this winter has passed! Here I am writing my first styling article regarding Spring/Summer ’16 trends! Every new season deserves a fresh start so let’s all embrace the stripes movement!
The Graphic Stripes is the trend everyone is talking about!
When saying graphic stripes, I am talking about super sized vertical, horizontal or diagonal lines or even a mix of them! If the Breton conturing is already part of the classic fashion due to their connection with the French culture, this season’s style statements are engaging and noticeable! Seen on the catwalk of Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, Roksanda and Jonathan Saunders, the statement stripes come in vivid colours perfect for optical illusion styling! Many of us are quite repulsive when it comes to this trend due to “common” knowledge that if not approached safely, these lines can make us look fat, wider, longer or like a square… In reality, there are just some simple rules to follow in order to look flawless when wearing stripes!
Here are some simple rules of how to maximise this trend:
1. Horizontal stripes do enhance your curves! To keep it safe you need to accentuate your waist by either buying a piece of clothing with a smart cut or by using a belt! Also, you could only wear a top while keeping the rest of the outfit simple and classic.
2. Diagonal stripes can help you enhance your figure and hide certain parts of your body because they create the slimmer optical illusion!
3. Vertical stripes help you look longer but not necessary slimmer! You should always bare in mind that you need to enhance your waist! For example, in my photoshoot the bodysuit accentuates my waist and on top of that I still keep the proportions safe by wearing a bomber jacket instead of a long coat.
4. Mix wide and thin stripes in order to make a stylish layering and enhance only the wanted curves!
5. Even if designers mixed and matched this trend with florals or other prints, you should try to keep it simple in case you are wearing vivid colours. If you are going for monochrome graphic stripes, then is safe to match them with other colourful prints. Simple is style impact!
You should pair this trend with the statement bomber jacket! It has been seen in previous seasons and, trust me, this stylish jacket is here to stay as it was also seen on the AW’16/17 catwalks. It is a real “hot piece” and it’s definelty worth investing!